LOCATION: Redwater, Alberta
CLIENT: Pembina Pipeline Corporation
RELATIONSHIP: since 2001
After its commissioning, the Redwater Fractionation Site (RFS) III project facility will become part of Canada’s largest NGL fractionation and storage complex.
The Redwater complex receives NGL mix from various natural gas and NGL producers and fractionates it into finished products. RFS III will be processing 55,000 bpd of C3+ feed and produce propane, butane and condensate with identical specifications as the associated RFS II project which was commissioned in 2016.
The key project challenges were to design the facility with the provision of future addition of de-ethanizer train to process C2+ feed and improve in the RFS III design by incorporating RFS II learnings without impacting schedule.
The RFS II and RFS III facilities were both heavily modularized and constructed off-site. To execute the project, Rangeland had to meet a demanding design schedule and track deliverables, equipment and materials at all times.
The facility design includes:
- High pressure multi-stage pumps to pump the NGL, propane and butane to cavern
- Fractionation towers (depropanizer and debutanizer) and associated equipment to process 55,000 bpd of feed
- Twin de-propanizer reboilers (24 MW each) to avoid plant downtime during asphaltene cleanout of reboilers
- Propane and butane product treatment to remove H2S and mercaptans (UOP design), propane treatment for COS hydrolysis and moisture removal with CaCl2 dryers
- Utilities/infrastructure to support the facility, including: MCC/ICC and analyser buildings, IA compressors, I/C, electricity, lighting, emergency and uninterrupted power supplies, fire water system, product storage bullets, waste gas incinerator, heat medium system, piperacks & process skid modules, and meter prover.
Ingenuity continued while we were designing from RFS II to RFS III.
— Zahid Maqsood P.Eng, Rangeland Process Engineering Manager
- Front End Engineering Design (FEED) study
- Detailed engineering design
- Procurement services, including construction contract preparation, bid and award
- Construction and commissioning support
Markets: NGL processing & transport, product storage, salt caverns, API tanks