LOCATION: Redwater, Alberta
CLIENT: Pembina Pipeline Corporation
RELATIONSHIP: since 2001
Rangeland’s primary focus was to design an interconnected series of salt caverns that allowed for handling of multiple products in plant feed service as well as finished product storage.
To support the cavern development, the program required a series of associated projects such as system manifolds, product drying and brine system upgrades.
Rangeland’s scope of services included conceptual planning and detailed engineering. Planning work included cavern development, geophysical assessment, cavern hydraulic performance modelling and system infrastructure. Detailed engineering included surface facilities, production conversion, system de-bottlenecking and integration into existing salt cavern storage and processing facilities.
A key challenge for Rangeland was to incorporate project changes required for the production-phase conversion as the needs, systems and scope sometimes shifted over the course of the two years in which the caverns were in wash phase. As a result, Rangeland formed a cavern group dedicated to the design and procurement of caverns, brine ponds and related processing facilities.
A key engineering challenge for Rangeland was to accommodate the evolving needs, scope and priorities of the project as they unfolded over multiple years.
The total program included:
- 8 new caverns encompassing 30 associated and supporting projects
- Hydraulic design and string-and-casing sizing for single, dual and triple cavern configurations
- Product injection pump systems (ethane, ethylene, propane, butane and NGL mix)
- Product treating facility including CaCl dryers, mole sieves, and brine separation
- Cavern wash infrastructure including river-water intake, wash-pump systems, disposal wells and temporary wash-phase facilities and systems
- Product, Brine, Flare and utility distribution systems, including strategically located, expandable, manifold setups.
- Design engineering for custody metering, flow control, and safety shutdown systems
Given the risks of highly pressurized products, we worked closely with Pembina to continuously improve the well safety systems. Our investment paid off—we raised the bar for new best practices.
— Les Gould, Project Manager
- Concept planning
- Detail engineering
- Procurement, materials management and expediting
- Construction support
Markets: NGL processing and transport, salt cavern storage