Ian is taking our engineering group to the next level. He brings a wealth of experience to our management team, honed over three decades of building major projects around the world.
Though his primary expertise lies in electrical engineering, Ian has led large-scale multidisciplinary projects within a range of industries for blue-chip clients and with leading engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) firms.
As director of engineering, Ian is instrumental in leading and defining Rangeland’s best practice, as well as our quality management and procurement strategies. His particular focus is on technical compliance, the procurement cycle and exceeding requirements and expectations of clients, site constructors and module fabricators.
In his view, his role is not to oversee engineering per se, but to empower the engineering team with the right tools and the right opportunities to do their jobs to the best of their ability.
His industry experience includes conventional and heavy oil, offshore oil and gas, natural gas liquids, nuclear energy/reprocessing and shipbuilding industries. His past roles include leading the detail design of a steam turbine generator package for Alberta’s largest oil sands project.
Ian holds a Bachelor of Engineering from The Queen’s University of Belfast (1987).
I want Rangeland to go above and beyond current practice. We are developing a ‘Rangeland Way’ that allows for flexibility and agility, but drives towards consistent high quality and best practice.
– Ian Alcorn, Director of Engineering
- Discipline manager and project discipline lead | Redwater Fractionation Site II & III, Pembina NGL Corporation
- Discipline manager | Fort Saskatchewan (various projects), Plains Midstream Canada
- Discipline manager | Edmonton Rail Terminal, Kinder Morgan
Previous Work Experience
- Project manager and electrical package manager | Kearl Initial Development, Imperial Oil
- Project manager and project discipline lead | Kearl Cogen, Imperial Oil
- Project engineer | Voyageur, Suncor
- Project engineer | Edmonton Refinery Conversion, PetroCanada
- Project manager | Infrastructure and clean-up projects, British Nuclear Fuels
- Electrical and instrumentation engineer | MOX Fuel Production Plant, British Nuclear Fuels
- Project manager | offshore oil and gas – Design Verification and Vessel Classification, Lloyds Register
- Electrical design engineer | SWOPS vessel, BP