LOCATION: Sherwood Park, Alberta
CLIENT: Kinder Morgan Canada Terminals
RELATIONSHIP: since 2011
Commissioned in May 2015, the Edmonton Rail Terminal is one of the largest crude oil loading facilities in North America. It will accommodate up to 3 unit trains per day comprised of 150 railcars each. The facility is capable of loading 76 individual railcars at one time, achieving an ultimate capacity of approximately 250,000 barrels per day.
The crude oil loading facility was designed to load two product streams simultaneously into separate unit trains, and is capable of handling all liquid products transported by Kinder Morgan for delivery by rail to North American markets and refineries.
In addition to the scale of the terminal and the need to handle multiple product streams, a key project challenge is its location within the municipal boundaries of Strathcona County.
The facility design includes:
- A dual-sided loading platform with 76 individual loading stations capable of filling 450 railcars per day (approximately 250,000 bbl/d)
- Two API storage tanks for oil displaced while changing between product batches
- Two product-transfer pumps for loading railcars from storage tanks
- Custody transfer by Coriolis meter and Accuload flow computer
- Vapour recovery and incineration system to minimize release and operator exposure to odours and hazardous gases
- Utilities/infrastructure to support the facility, including: nitrogen purge, fuel gas, instrumentation and controls, electricity, lighting, emergency and uninterrupted power supplies, potable water, sanitary sewer, fire protection, spill containment, API oil/water separator, site security, pedestrian overpass, roads and vehicle overpass.
As one of the largest crude oil loading facilities in North America, the Edmonton Rail Terminal is a landmark project to have under our belt.
— Todd Kennedy, Project Manager
- Front-end engineering design (FEED) study
- Detailed engineering design including:
- process design
- equipment specification
- electrical utility and lighting design
- piping and structural design
- instrumentation and control logic design
- Procurement services
- Construction contract preparation, bid and award
- Construction and commissioning support
- “As-built” drafting services
Markets: rail and truck terminals, product storage, pipeline terminals, transportation