Sr. Mechanical Engineer
Rangelander since 2011
Having worked on more projects with high-pressure breechlock heat exchangers than anyone in Canada, Don is a recognized industry expert on heat transfer and heat exchange. His knowledge in a niche market allows Rangeland to find innovative solutions and be adaptable when faced with difficult thermal design project challenges.
Don has almost 40-years of extensive experience in the mechanical and thermal design of heat transfer equipment. His award-winning designs are innovative, extremely durable and translate to multiple cost savings. He has been responsible for the detail design of the shell and tube exchangers designed in Western Canada for refineries and upgraders.
He has been involved with heat exchangers on most major refinery and gas plants in Canada and has performed heat transfer equipment design (thermal, hydraulic, vibration analysis and mechanical) for refinery exchangers including feed effluent exchangers, thermosyphon reboilers, chillers, gas-gas, sulfur condensers, steam generators, waste heat recovery systems, boilers, natural and forced draft furnaces, and cooling towers.
Don holds a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering from Carleton University in Ottawa (1976). His innovative designs have been formally recognized by industry, including an award from Shell Canada.
Rangeland is like a big, generous family that fosters teamwork, encourages creativity and challenges me.
– Don Fleming, P. Eng., Sr. Mechanical Engineer
- Heat transfer
- Heat exchangers
- Process heaters
- Pressure vessels
- Finite element analysis
- Equipment repair
- Specification writing
- CFD modeling
- ASME VIII Div 2 certification
- Senior mechanical engineer | Redwater Fractionation Site II, Pembina Pipeline Corporation
- Senior mechanical engineer | Redwater Ethylene Injection Site, Pembina Pipeline Corporation
- Senior mechanical engineer | C3+ Bypass Program, Pembina Pipeline Corporation
- Senior mechanical engineer | Project Diamond, Pembina Pipeline Corporation
Additional Work Experience
- Senior mechanical engineer | Hardisty heavy oil heat exchangers, CNRL
- Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA) and Saskatchewan (APEGS)
- Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO)
- Heat Transfer Research Institute (HTRI)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)